Spanish Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (SEBBM) will award travel grants to facilitate the attendance of their early-career members to the 42nd SEBBM Congress to be held in Madrid on 16-19 July 2019.
Applicants to SEBBM travel grants must meet the following criteria:
- Be member of SEBBM since, at least, 2017.
- Reside outside the venue of the 42nd SEBBM Congress, that is, out of the city of Madrid.
- Be a Master or PhD student, or having been awarded a PhD degree within the last five years. In the case of PhD holders with more than three years of seniority, they must be regular members (socios ordinarios) or have submitted their application for it at the time of requesting the travel grant.
- Be registered to the 42nd SEBBM Congress and have paid the registration fee within the indicated deadlines.
- Have submitted an abstract as the first author for the 42nd SEBBM Congress via the website. The abstract needs to have been accepted by the Organizing Committee. Notification of acceptance will be sent after submission.
How to apply:
Applications must be sent by e-mail to SEBBM (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject “Travel grant SEBBM – Madrid 2019”, before 17th May 2019, including the following information and documents:
- In the body of the message: Name and surnames, Degree (Master, PhD student or Doctor, indicating in the latter case the date of defense of the Thesis). Indicate if you want to participate in mentoring undergraduate students who will be attending the Introductory Course to Research in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (See more information below).
- Copy of ID or passport.
- Proof of Status: Be a registered PhD student or post-doctoral scientist within 5 years of receiving a PhD.
- Copy of the registration fee payment to the 42nd SEBBM Congress.
- Copy of the scientific abstract to be presented.
After evaluation of the applications received by the SEBBM Council travel grants will be granted, within budget availability, based on the following criteria:
- Meet the requirements of the call.
- Priority will be given to applicants who have not received a travel grant from the SEBBM in the last two years.
Applications that are positively evaluated and granted will be announced on this website.
Travel grants will be awarded via bank check at the SEBBM Congress.
The SEBBM travel grant holders will have the opportunity to participate in mentoring undergraduate students who will attend the Introductory Course to Research in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. The mentors will provide the undergraduate students guidance during the congress, taking advantage of the different activities, from the plenary lectures to the poster sessions. Each student will be assigned a mentor who works in a scientific field of his/her interest. Mentor and students will attend together each day to a couple of talks/poster sessions, chosen by the mentor, within their interests. The mentor will tell what is for him/her, the interest of that talk/poster and so the student will have a starting point to decide other activities during the day and someone close to him/her to ask questions. The mentor will guide the student and share his/her experience in the search for scholarships, master’s choice, selection of a research group, etc. Two meetings will be held (compulsory attendance), one on 16 July 2019 at 17:00 for the introduction of the mentors to the students and another on 19 July 2019 at 11:00 to evaluate the development of the mentoring program. There will also be an organized visit to the posters of the mentors to promote scientific discussion among students and mentors. In addition, a voluntary evening out will be organized when students, mentors and teachers of the course will meet. At the end of the congress all mentors will receive a diploma certifying their participation.